FAST FACTS: FIRE RESCUE VICTORIA COMMISSIONER
The position of Fire Rescue Victoria Commissioner has now been advertised. The Commissioner fulfils an important and senior role in Victoria’s emergency services, with remuneration of up to $457,000.
Premier Daniel Andrews and Minister Lisa Neville must answer the following questions on the recruitment of the new Commissioner:
- Will a valid competitive selection process be undertaken?
- Will the process involve a shortlisting and the conduct of interviews?
- Will the process be conducted by a panel selected by the Government?
- Will United Firefighters Union Secretary Peter Marshall be a member of the panel?
- Will the Government consult Mr Marshall about the composition of the panel?
- Will Mr Marshall be consulted about the suitability of the preferred candidates for appointment?
- Can the Government guarantee that Mr Marshall will have no influence over the selection of the Commissioner?
- Once appointed can the Commissioner expect Government support when faced with criticism by Mr Marshall and the UFU?